Food Rescue Program Volunteer
The Food Rescue program diverts food from landfills and directs it towards community members in need, feeding adults, children and families.
How it works
Volunteers collect donations of excess unspoiled perishable and prepared food and redistribute it to the community through our various programs as well as through the Squamish Food Bank. In doing so, we reduce waste, reduce our food costs, feed more people in the community and deliver food where it is needed most.
You can feel pretty good about helping people, saving money for Helping Hands, and helping the environment all at the same time!
- Collect donated food from grocery stores, restaurants, cafes, and other donors, and deliver the food to the Drop-In Centre.
- Weigh all the food collected
Hours and Days
- Commitment to a regular schedule is required for this position.
- Program runs 6 days a week: Monday-Saturday
- Approximately 1 hour per week, usually mid-morning (approximately 10:00 – 11:00 am)
- On-call, back up volunteers are also required
- Must be 18 years or older
- Driver’s License
- Vehicle not necessary
- Able to lift and carry